Thursday, May 29, 2008

Dirty Little Secrets

OK, so maybe they're really not that dirty, but I have been holding back a few things ...

1. On Monday, I did a second lactate threshold (LT) test on a treadmill to determine my run training zones. This LT test is different from other LT tests I've read about but it's the same one as I did before and the only one my local tri club coach does. It involved warming up for 10 min at 5mph at an incline level of 2.5 and then increasing speed by 0.5 mph every 1.5 minutes until effort was "very hard" (RPE=17), but not all-out (that would be RPE=20). The test confirmed what the first one showed, namely, that I'm a hummingbird, someone who has a high heart rate when working out. The upper limits for my run training zones 1-3 are 145, 168 and 187, 3 beats lower than last time, which is good, but the coach says I still need to be working on my base fitness level :-(

At the end of the test, ~22 minutes of running, the HRM read 194 and the treadmill was at 9mph (6:40 pace). I was one of the last to get off :-)

2. On Tuesday, I did my third 7-mile bike time trial. Winds were ~14mph, mostly crosswinds. I finished in 18:28 (22.695 mph avg), my fastest time to date -- WOOHOO!

But, only 5 women of the 12 women (any age) who were there last time showed up and, of course, most of them were the fast ones. My PR was the second slowest female race time :-(

3. I'm enjoying blogging about others at the Endurance Sports Bar more than blogging about myself here. There are so many interesting people and stories, much more interesting than mine. Stef has kindly offered to help me out with tending the bar. Say bye-bye to free time, Stef!

4. I leave tomorrow to run the Sunburst Marathon in South Bend, Indiana, on Saturday. I wasn't satisfied with how my Gulf Coast Tri went and think that knocking out another state in my 50 states marathon quest might cheer me up. My heel seems healed up enough.

5. I'm also still considering doing Steelhead 70.3 (a half iron tri). I have no races in August and my next tri (another half iron) is not until November, which seems so far off. I need to make a decision this weekend as reg fees go up on June 1st.

14 comments:

akshaye said...

Shirley.. good luck with the race in Indiana! Youv'e been doing a great job with the bar - its becoming a fav part of my daily routine. If I come across any interesting stories, I'll fwd them to you so that you can use them for the bar.

Petraruns said...

Yeah you are a great host! And i like how you sneak these impressive and challenging workouts in there as well. Go for Indiana - sometimes there's nothing like a race to get your jiggles out...

Road Warrior said...

Holy cow! If I had done those things, I'd be screaming about it off of the tallest mountain. Congrats and good luck on the race!

Jade Lady said...

Wow, these are your dirty little secrets? Come on..they're too tame! Need to kick up some more dirt! Just kidding :-)

Congrats on the time trial! Great to have Stef help u out. Good luck in Indiana!

peter said...

Interesting post about the Borg rating. 6:40 pace in the 22d minute? That's pretty fast pretty late! At least in my world. Good luck in your marathon!

Maddy said...

Good luck in South Bend!

You are incredible! Love the secrets!

Kevin said...

Great job on the LT test and the TT. I suspect I may be a hummingbird as well. Good luck in Indianna

Cliff said...

Hi Shirley,

You were the last one to get off? Were you running with other people doing the same test? That would be a good and motivating way to keep going :)

I am a humming bird as well. My Z1 is 159. Interesting, after all the marathons (and running and training), your coach still say for you to focus on base.....

definitely reinforce the idea to invest in base.

Susan said...

I think now might be a good time for me to do one of thosde tests... I'd probably feel VERY good about myself in a few months when I am hopefully back to my full-time running self! :)

Good luck in Indiana, my friend!

jeanne said...

wow you are FAST on the bike!!!!

and good luck...today. I guess you're done by now. Well, i hope it went well!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Hey, Shirley, how did that marathon go??? Hope the weather was OK.... kind of dicey from the midwest to the Mid-Atlantic today.

Thanks for keeping up with my blog and enjoying Sarah's arrival pictures!

Stef said...

Hope the marathon went well! The Bar totally rocks! Can't wait to start "bartending." :-)

CewTwo said...

I want a treadmill test so badly. Just thinking about Chicago and making sure I am capable. Then just for the fun of it and seeing where I am in my physical fitness.

Good news, though, and great shape! Congratulations!

BreeWee said...

Oh I just got your comment from the sports bar... that is pretty cool!

I totally hope you signed up for the Steelhead!