Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Gearing up for the Derby

What's perhaps worse than preparing taxes? Pouring through over 8 years of statements to compute the cost basis of stocks. Bleah!

Now, onto more more important things ... like updating my blog :-)

Firstly, I finally got around to creating and posting a short video about my team of runners who did the SimplyStu Triathlon recently. (For best viewing, hit the play button to get it started downloading, then hit pause and come back to view it after reading the rest of this post. By then, it should be downloaded and will play smoothly. Duration 1:20.)



For any musicians out there, this was my very first attempt to compose a song using individual loops provided with Mac's Garage Band. It was a lot different than composing music on my electronic keyboard, easier in some ways (various drum kit, bass, guitar and other instrument loops already exist), harder in others (you've got to find them and then put them together so they sound good). Of course, I thought it'd be cool to base the song on a guitar riff that's sort of similar to what Stu uses on his podcasts. Luckily, this video wasn't long enough for me to do anything more than build and then fade out ;-)

Last Tuesday, I ran a 20-miler in preparation for the Kentucky Derby Marathon this Saturday. Since there's only a month in between this marathon and my previous one, the Ocean Drive Marathon, I decided to do just one long run and with the unusually cool weather we had last week, 20 miles in 3:30 did not seem overly taxing. My goal for Kentucky is simply not to overdo things since the Gulf Coast Tri (a half iron) is just 2 weeks afterwards. Last year, I ran 3 marathons about a month apart followed by a half iron distance tri two weeks later and it worked out really well.

The weekend turned out to be mostly cycling. On Saturday, Dave and I rode the Van Fleet Trail, a long Rails to Trails route that we hadn't been on in a while. It's completely flat, has only a couple of intersections to slow down for and only one gentle bend in it. We hadn't planned to ride it fast being that it was our first ride over 50 miles this year and we actually ended up stopping to call 911 just 2 miles into it because of some small fires we saw off to the side (no one and no signs were around saying it was a controlled burn). Still, we did the 58 miles round trip in 3 hours (19.3 mph avg), our fastest time to date and without drafting each other (woo hoo!) There were, however, controlled burn signs placed by the time we got back, oh well ...

Then Sunday we did some intervals on the bike which together with the long ride the day before really wiped out my legs. I could manage only 3 miles on the treadmill that evening and only because I had to report how many miles I ran over the weekend to my virtual running group and didn't want to say ZERO. After all, I was the one who organized the group ... This week I will definitely be resting up for the marathon.

Good luck to Wendy who's competing at the World Masters in Australia this week, Rural Girl who's running the Pine Line 1/2 Marathon this Saturday, folks doing St. Anthony's Olympic Distance tri on Sunday, and anyone else racing. And thank you to everyone who's contributed to the Endurance Sports Bar vault -- Keep them coming!!

Hope you enjoy the video!

15 comments:

Susan said...

EXCELLENT video (and not just because I'm in it).

Shirley, you continue to amaze me. Good luck in Kentucky!!!

MarathonChris said...

Cool video!!! What a cool team we made :-)

Best wishes for a great run in Kentucky!

akshaye said...

Really good video! The soundtrack turned out great too. Good luck with the Kentucky race. Btw - I was wondering if I can join the group next month? I am trying to give my knee some time to recover, but I plan to get back to normal mileage next month.

Jim said...

I liked the video! Hope you have as much fun in the "Derby" as I did. You'll feel like you made a wrong turn when you lose all the half-marathoners. I think it's about a 12:1 ratio, half to full. Enjoy!

Cliff said...

Shirley,

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Oh too much candles even for my age :P.haha...

Jade Lady said...

Very cool video! Featuring some favorite bloggers of ours - that's the best part!

CewTwo said...

Cool video! I enjoyed it.

Annette said...

Have a GREAT Race on Saturday!!!

peter said...

Nice twenty, and sounds like it was a good ride. Good luck in your upcoming M's.

SimplyStu said...

Nice. You Rock!!!!!!!!

Smithposts said...

Great video! Good luck on the marathon this weekend. Will look forward to a race report next week!

Tri to Be Funny said...

Good Luck this weekend!

peter said...

I watched your video, pretty cool. Good luck tomorrow, go get 'em (and knock off KY).

Rural Girl said...

I'm commenting on Saturday evening and anxious to hear how your marathon went. I hope it went well.

IrishBlue said...

Good luck at the derby! Only 16 more states? Wow...very cool.