Friday, October 12, 2007

Trick or Treat?

This week has been a treat, for sure!



On Tuesday I did a group run at Disney World with fellow bloggers Maddy, Adam (The Zen Runner) and Marathon Chris. It's the first time in probably over a year that I've had the chance to run with any other people outside of a race. It was a great run, great company, great food afterwards (well, not really from a nutritious standpoint but it tasted good!) and even a chance run-in with Steve Ballmer. Click here if you want to know more.

Next Saturday is the Lewis & Clark Siouxland Marathon in Sioux City, Iowa. And Dave will be there to cheer for me because he has to be in Omaha, Nebraska, the week before the race, which is only 1.5 hours away. OK, so maybe I did plan to run the race in hopes that he'll have a business trip there, as he often does, but either way, it's worked out -- woohoo!!

And, get ready to put on a coat -- today was the first day in over 6 months that I ran in sub-80 degree weather! Yup, we have a cold front coming in this weekend so it was only in the high 60's to mid-70's during this morning's run. I saw many folks wearing jackets but all I had on extra was my Garmin Forerunner, the first time I've worn it in months, just to see how well I'd do on my 10-miler in the brisk conditions.

My warm up/down miles were nice and easy in the 9:30-10 min pace range but I ran the middle miles a little harder in 8-8:30 pace range for an average pace of 8:49 for the entire run (10.2 miles). With some luck and cool weather at Sioux City, Dave may not be waiting for much longer than 4 hours (he didn't attend the 3 slower-than-usual marathons I ran earlier this year).

And this weekend should be gorgeous weather for cycling as well. I'll post again from Omaha next week. Oh, did I forget to mention that I'll be going with him? :-)

5 comments:

Susan said...

Have fun with Dave! And good luck with the marathon!

Brent Buckner said...

Seems as though a few things have lined up for you!

Rural Girl said...

Mid 60' and 70's how heavenly! We are down to the 40's and 50's here in the Great Northwoods and I hate it!

Good luck on your upcoming race.

lizzie lee said...

Shirley, I wish you the best in your Marathon. Please, report us as soon as you can how did you feel. Enjoy, and if you get tired think in this word: Courage!

IrishBlue said...

Shirley, good luck with your marathon this week. Can't wait to read about it.

Four marathon's in a year, wow! I can't seem to manage one. ;-)