Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Other Marathon

Began on Monday, just a couple hours after I dropped off Dave at the airport.

Day 1: Fever, body aches.

Day 2: Stomach cramps, diarrhea.

Day 3: Same, but not as bad.

Fortunately, I'm an endurance athlete.

I gathered all my medicines, water bottles and other necessities (cell phone, laptop) around me, laid down in bed and hung on. Dave asked if he should come home to take care of me but I told him there was nothing he could do. Even seeing a doc would not really help, just had to let the bug run its course, which it did.

So today, the 4th day, I am finally feeling a whole lot better. I'm up out of bed and able to eat normal solid food again -- YAY!!!

Was this perhaps my body's way of forcing me to rest???

Having felt so good after my race last Saturday, I was (quietly) considering doing a sprint tri this Saturday to get in one last open water swim before Miami Man. But now that I'm in a weakened state, I've decided against it. My focus will be to get 100% healthy by Nov. 11.

Maybe I just needed a good kick in the gut to remind me ...

9 comments:

Susan said...

I am AMAZED that you could kick butt at a marathon and then fall sick! But, I firmly believe that our bodies get sick to force us to slow down. I really, really believe that. It looks like you listened to your body! Good job.

ShirleyPerly said...

Although it is well known that running a marathon can weaken one's immune system, pretty much anyone can get this bug if exposed to it, unfortunately. On the bright side, there is now little chance I will overdo anything this weekend :-)

MarathonChris said...

Glad you were able to kick that bug! Sorry to hear that you got sick, but glad you are resting up for your main race!!

Perhaps you spared Dave by having it while he was gone.

Have a relaxing weekend!

Bigun said...

get better soon...miami is right around the corner!

Rural Girl said...

Fluids, fluids, fluids, rest, rest, rest.
Get well soon.

lizzie lee said...

Get healthy first, remember than rest is as important as training.

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

Steve Stenzel said...

YEAH!! for feeling better!!!

Maddy said...

Glad you are feeling better!

The flu sucks! But maybe it is rest you needed.

Petraruns said...

Poor you Shirley - but well timed! Sometimes rest has to be forced upon us.. Do you feel better now? Take it easy getting back into it, good luck.