Monday, April 30, 2007

Graduation 2007



Just got back from Provo, Utah, where I attended the college graduation of my step-daughter, Katherine, and her husband, Kevin. Despite the happy occasion, getting there was hell. It began the day before Dave and I left when we found out that our hotel had changed ownership and canceled our reservation without informing us, which meant we had to scramble to find someplace to stay on one of the busiest hotel weekends of the year. Then our flight to Denver was late and we had to run nearly a half mile to the next gate while carrying/towing our luggage to make the connection (and with no cartilage left in his knees, 4 minutes of running was excruciating for Dave). And to top it off, we got rear-ended while driving to the graduation ceremony.

UNBELIEVABLE.



But on the good side ... We made it there to see both of them graduate. No one was injured in the car accident or even at the hotel, though they made us pay double the original rate and switch hotels mid-trip. We got to see Dave's parents again as well as Dave's ex-wife and her new husband (and the fact that they've not aged as well as us ;-). We enjoyed some delicious sushi at K&K's favorite restaurant and I even managed to do some decent training while on the trip thanks to a nearby public pool and a hotel fitness room that was open 24 hours.

Hopefully my trip next weekend to run the Colorado Marathon will be uneventful!

8 comments:

MarathonChris said...

Wow, that really was quite the trip. I am glad to hear you guys are ok and made it back safe and sound.

Here is hoping that your Colorado Marathon will be uneventful! :-)

Susan said...

Sorry it was so eventful! Goodness gracious!

You, my dear, looked FABULOUS!!!! :)

Maddy said...

What a trip! I'm happy you're back unscathed.

Congrats to your daughter and son-in-law!

I agree with Susan, you look awesome!

Good luck in Colorado

petra duguid said...

I'm amazed you stuck with it all! And I have to agree with your girlfriends here you look in great shape! Good luck this weekend with the marathon - I won't bother you re. a training program this week as you're so busy but send me an e-mail when you have a moment to think as I would love your input! Thank you!

ShirleyPerly said...

Thank you, you all are so kind!

My husband Dave was actually the one who got lots of compliments on this trip, though. He'd lost a lot more weight since Katherine's wedding end of 2005 when we last saw everyone together. Even his ex said how good he looked :-)

Rural Girl said...

Best wishes on your Colorado Marathon. Odds are against a repeat of such a chaotic trip.

Ellie said...

Geez, the trip from hell, but you weathered it well :-)

Surely that's not your husband's ex standing next to you? If so, geez, I'd say you've aged a whole lot better!!

BTW, I read your comment on Nancy's blog about being a grandma by 50... I was a grandma at 44 :-)

Anonymous said...

Ellie,
LOL! That's my mom. The ex is the one with sunglasses on. The BIG guy is my dad, the other guy is the ex's husband.

Dave