Friday, April 06, 2007

How to Celebrate My Big 5-0?

With 20 states left in my 50 states marathon quest, I've begun to give some serious thought as to which state I should save for last to cap my 9 year adventure and also celebrate my 50th birthday. I've already done races in Hawaii and Alaska, which many other 50-Staters do last. As of right now, I have the following left:

West (5) - Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada or Utah*, Wyoming
Midwest (5) - Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin
Northeast (7) - Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont
South (3) - Kentucky, Oklahoma, West Virgina

* One race I've done counts as either Nevada or Utah, so one more in either state is needed.

I have no particular attachment to any of the remaining states so I'm trying to find a creative way to make one of them special. I once eyed the Pikes Peak Marathon thinking that completing one of the most challenging marathons would be a cool way to wrap up the quest. But my recent ankle mishaps and Do Not Try Anything New on Race Day lesson tell me to avoid trail running and "sky running" so now I've wimped out and plan to do the Colorado Marathon next month, a much easier paved course down the Poudre Canyon where I've gone river rafting in the past.

Is there another marathon in any of the above states that would somehow make for good 50-states finale?

Another possibility is doing an iron distance triathlon since the 26.2 run segment would count towards my 50-states quest. That would be actually doubly special since I've not yet completed an iron distance tri, thanks to my IMFL 2006 DNF. There's Ironman Wisconsin and the Full Redman Triathlon in Oklahoma.

Does anyone know of any other iron distance tris in the states I have remaining?

8 comments:

Maddy said...

My sister lives in Madison and was a spectator at Ironman Wisconsin last year. She said despite the rain it was quite exciting...

I can't wait to see what you decide!

Ellie said...

You've checked trifind.com, right? And clicked on "Iron Distance?" And you're doing the Clarence DeMar Marathon with me for your NH marathon, right? :-) I see it in your schedule... You're doing that, right? With me? I sure hope so!

Susan said...

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for... but looks cool: http://www.bigdambridge.com/duathlon/

You are an inspiration!

Susan said...

And by the way, there is NO WAY that you could be mistaken for 50 (or almost 50). Never in a million years!

Note to self: keep running so I can look like Shirley!

JohnnyTri said...

Ironman Louisville, Ky.. I think its sold out this year but its in KY.

Also Nevada.. How about the Las Vegas Marathon, I did the 1/2 2006 and it was way cool running down the strip for the first 7ish miles, although, part of the course towards the end is looking at being redesigned, its a fun venue, and its VEGAS!

rockon`

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks for all the ideas!

No firm decision yet, but I'm leaning towards doing an iron distance tri. There's now four possibilities: IM Wisconsin, IM Louisville in Kentucky, Full Redman in Oklahoma and the Nevada Silverman.

Decisions, decisions ...

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

Let's see...Here in NM, there's the standard suite of marathons - which can be found from our local Roadrunner's website:

http://www.aroadrun.org

There's a really cool one in June through the Jemez Caldera, but uh, it totally negates your no trail rule. We're at altitude here, BTW.

No iron or half iron tris, I'm afraid.

Let me know if I can get you more specific info.

outdoorgrillingguy said...

Whistlestop in Ashland Wisconsin is a very gentle marathon - about 750 runners. 700' drop on gravel abandoned railroad bed - runs in October. Beautiful. Your knees will love it.

Redman in OK has a iron distance held in September - again about 750 participants.