Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Wanna Be ...

Like my lemon tree.

About 10 years ago for my birthday, I got a little lemon tree from Home Depot and planted it in my backyard. I had one in my backyard growing up and have always loved fresh squeezed lemonade.



The tree came with a couple green sticks to help support its skinny branches. I watered and fertilized it but it didn't look look happy. It lost some of its leaves and other leaves were curling. A year or so later, our area had a citrus canker threat and I thought my tree might be destroyed when inspectors were going door to door but the leaves problem turned out not to be canker. In 2004, some hurricanes flooded my backyard and part of my tree was underwater for weeks. I worried again that I might lose it.



But my little lemon tree survived.

A couple years ago, it really started growing, flowering and is now a good sized lemon tree. Some green fruit appeared that slowly became bigger and bigger. This year, finally, I have some ripe lemons!

So now as I'm enjoying my long-awaited fresh squeezed lemonade, I realize I need to be tough like my little lemon tree. We have had some "cold" weather here lately in Central FL that is making working out more difficult, particularly swimming since my local (outdoor) pool is not being heated during the winter.

The lifeguards say I've been the only person coming to swim the past week. With a wetsuit on, the hardest part is really just getting there.

57 degs *inside* our house is also calling for some toughening up, but Dave is loving it. Revenge for me getting to keep the thermostat set at 82 degs when it's hot, which is most of the year.

But perhaps most of all, I need to be careful and patient. I have some new right shoulder and elbow pains (rotator cuff and elbow tendonitis?) that have cropped up recently. UGHH! In my zeal to get back to doing push-ups, dips & pull-ups during the holidays, I think I overdid things. Just started taking ibuprofen twice daily and modifying my swim stroke some. It seems to be getting better, or at least not getting worse. I know I will get through this ...

In other news, Dave was recently published in Road Bike Action Magazine (page 29). His answer to Why He Rides:

Because I can. How lucky are we to live in a place that all we have to worry about are inattentive drivers and not check points, roadblocks, land mines, and bored armed militias? To us, town lines are sprint goals, not borders of warring clan's turf or boundaries that limit our safety. The simple freedom of getting on a bike and not worrying about where, how long, etc. you are going is a luxury many people don't have.

Enjoy your workouts, everyone!!

32 comments:

Petraruns said...

Dearest Shirley - sometimes we all need to grab ourselves by our scruffs and say that it's not all going to be so easy or so comfortable. I know I've been feeling hard-done by recently because of busy-ness at work and wanting to get my training in and it being very cold. I too - like your lemon tree - had to cope with it and I hope I can reap the fruits as well...

Take it easy on yourself and give yourself some time to heal and get better before hitting it hard...

Brent Buckner said...

Recalls to mind "The Man Who Planted Trees" - glad your years of care bore fruit.

Hope you heal quickly and fully.

Nice bit from Dave!

Tammy said...

My your brave! To be in a pool those kind of temps. I don't think I would go in the water with those temps, glad to here you doing it. It could be the cooler weather making your shoulder to act up, I hope it feels better.

I think Marathon Chris brought some of those warmer temps here with her, it's finally in the 30's and it feels great, compared to the 9 degree weather we were having.

Enjoy the lemonade!!!!(My what a tough tree you have)

Road Warrior said...

I love your outlook, but I don't think you have to try to be tough--you are tough. One of the toughest people I know.

Good for you in tempering your workouts and listening to your body. Without a healthy body, everything goes downhill.

Congrats to Dave. I couldn't agree more!

Formulaic said...

MAN! Talk about a thought provoking post

First the tree and the analogy of staying strong and maturing. It took 10 years to deliver. 10 to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

That is a statement!

And then we look at Dave's comment. Whoa! A whole new perspective. Awesome thank you both!

jen said...

Brr! Cold water and cold house.

I love the lemon tree story/analogy. It's a great example of how tough we all are if we have strong roots and people who care for us. :)

I planted a tree when I was a kid, about 20 years ago. It always blows me away when I go home and see how it has grown.. and how much I have grown.

Jenny Davidson said...

A long time ago I knew a cat whose coat smelled like a lemon tree!

Take care of those shoulder issues, don't let 'em get any worse!

Kevin said...

I have had some nagging shoulder pain. I have finally got it under control using the trigger point ball. It isnt gone 100% yet, but the pain is minimal

Bruce Stewart said...

Oh for 67F water! It was 64F yesterday at the pool, which was not too bad after braving the first chilly 100m. Outdoor temperature today at lunchtime is about 77F, so things are starting to get a little better slowly.
Maybe because I have had less time to swim and train and because of the beneficial effects of cold water (so get in there more), my shoulders, etc. have been fine. I would certainly refute anything said that might suggest that K's swimming technique increases injury, although I have yet to check to see if I am actually swimming that way, or is it just my imagination? Extend and pause before the catch and then you can use force without pulling when you are not set up well for it.

Marathon Maritza said...

You can do it! You are the toughest chica I know! Make like your lemon tree! :)

Julianne said...

What a great analogy!! I want to be like your lemon tree, too!!! And I like Dave's quote. Awesome. :-)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

i like your lemon tree analogy.

sorry about your aches and pains. maybe you should cut back on the pushups and such *or* see a trainer a few times as you mentioned in a comment on my last post. :-)

Shannon said...

I love the lemon tree! Isn't it wonderful that God can show you things about yourself in things like lemon trees?

I hope the aches/pains go away soon. :)

Susan said...

Now that's what I call making lemons into lemonade! :)

CewTwo said...

I agree with Greg. Your lemon tree had to keep going because it had you as a role model. As do a lot of us!

Every time I think that I should not do something, I remember how you keep going at it! You are an inspiration!

I really do not know how you do everything that you do and sleep, too. I didn't know what I was getting into with the Runningmates site, and you do so much more AND keep up with it all. Commendable!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

57 degrees INSIDE the house?? That's plain cold!! Makes the pool feel warm :-)

Irish Blue said...

Shirley,
Sounds like you're in a bit of a mojo slump. Hang in there, it will pass. I think it's a winter thing, at least it seems to be for me.

Love your husband's quote from the magazine. We are truly fortunate, aren't we?

ShirleyPerly said...

Yeah, I wish it was warmer but mainly wish I didn't have any aches/pain in my right arm. Today, however, I had a great swim (even if it was only 40 degs outside and 66 in the pool) so perhaps things are looking better already. Fingers crossed!

Calyx Meredith said...

And I was whining about how hard it is to get back to swimming in an indoor pool! Hope your shoulder/arm/elbow heals quickly. Thanks for sharing both the lemon tree story and Dave's piece!

Vickie said...

I think you are like your lemon tree. And water temp that is 67? That is downright hot for us up north. That's about the warmest Lake Michigan gets most of the summer! As for the shoulder problems. Without knowing for sure where the pain is, you might have a micro tear in the muscle which would of course lead to some inflammation and soreness. One thing that has helped me keep the shoulders/neck/rotator cuff areas in good working order is to stretch those areas every day! It took care of some chronic problems I was having. Also, back down some on the weights (heaviness) until it calms down to avoid further damage.

KodaFit said...

Just what I needed today! Thanks.

I guess things are all relative. My pool has been perfect of late, which is good, coz with sub zero's temps and air that resembles pea soup, my running and biking has been minimal at best.

RBR said...

Brrr... an unheated pool is about as uninviting as it gets. Good for you for getting it done.

Here's to quick healing. You ARE like your lemon tree.

Rural Girl said...

The lemons are beautiful! Little "balls" of sunshine. Not to be confused with a "bowl" of sunshine which would be Steve in a Speedo's yellow running shorts!

Appreciated Dave's take on cycling.

Gotta Run said...

Love Dave's words on riding. We all need to be reminded how "good" we have it.

If the pool temps are too cold wear your wetsuit :)

RoadBunner said...

My sister has a lime tree in our parents' backyard. The thing has been replanted a few times, got some strange tree sickness and has been pruned down to almost nothing at one point...But it still keeps growing back!!

I hope your shoulder/elbow feels better soon!

Eileen Swanson said...

I love your lemon tree! Great post as usual ;-) Heal quick little lady ;-)

lizzie lee said...

Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

I had a lemon tree in my first house 26 years ago, and I loved to have my lemonades prepared with my own lemons. The tree was side by side to the stairs that took us to our apartment. So every time I got home or went out, I picked a leave, folded in half and put it close to my nose to enjoy the essence of lemon, a gift of nature.

I was touched by Dave's words. Nothing but true. We have no reasons to complain about anything.

Please, take care of your shoulders...

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

lizzie lee said...

Typo above: "I picked a leaf"

peter said...

Those lemons look great. A great return on a long ago payment.

Kona Shelley said...

I love your attitude for life!

lizzie lee said...

ha ha ha... I ain't superstitious either but I don't think I would wear a 666 either!!!!

;)

X-Country2 said...

What a great post. Some days getting started is 90% of the battle.

Take care of yourself and get better soon.