Monday, January 28, 2008

A Mixed Bag

Just completed my second week of training in 2008. So far, the D3MultiSports 12-week Advanced Winter Maintenance Program has merged well with Pfitz's 12-week Marathon Training Program but the result has involved a fair amount of cycling & running volume. In adjusting to it, I've only managed to get to the pool a couple times each week. I hope to add in the 3rd optional weekly swim workouts starting next week. Tomorrow evening I've got my first bike time trial!

No word yet on the bike issue for the Team EVOTRI sponsorship. I'm going ahead and thinking up some ideas for my video application, just in case. If I go ahead with it, I'll probably fly out to Austin, where my sister lives, because she has a Mac computer with much better video making and music creation capabilities than I do. I'd probably spend double the time if I did it myself.

And friends, stay tuned for more details about the third annual Simply Stu Triathlon. This is a free do-it-yourself triathlon event (optional t-shirt extra), similar to the Phedippidations Worldwide Half Marathon, for those of you who are familiar with that. You swim-bike-run/walk over a weekend (Fri-Sat-Sun) wherever and whatever distances you want. It's a great opportunity for beginners to give tris a try and for seasoned triathletes to do a tune up before the race season begins. It's previously been held late March. Anyone up for it?

On the family front, my (step) daughter, KW, has been very busy and making headlines. I've been told there's a less than 1% chance I'll become a grandma this year. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to put my knitting needles aside and find something else to do with my spare time (yeah, right!).

And congrats to Susan on her new family addition, a brand new Cannondale bike. She's currently injured and unable to run for a while but not letting that dampen her spirits. You go, girl!

7 comments:

TJ said...

Good luck with the TT tomorrow. And good luck with EVOTRI.

Susan said...

Awwwwww, thanks!

KW is quite the lady! I can sympathize with being one of the only females in your field...

Um, ma'am, I don't think knitting needles would be in your future. Your lucky grandchild would be FLYING along in a jogging stroller or bike thingie!

ShirleyPerly said...

Well, I'd better be one strong grandma. I believe 4 kids is their plan and names have already been picked out.

MarathonChris said...

I may give Simply Stu a try (no pun intended). I won't be upgrading my bike or doing much swim training...but sounds like I can keep it simple and have fun with it.

Wow, KW is really striking out! If she has her dad's guts, being one of a few in her field will not be a problem but probably a strength for her (in between having kids).

I agree with Susan - you would be running the kids around for a long time. Perhaps you make it your next goal to run a marathon with a grandchild :-)

akshaye said...

Good luck with the TT! And thank for the heads up on the Stimply Stu Tri. That would be fun to do.

You should post your video app on the blog when you're done.

Susan said...

Yes -- please post the video application!

ShirleyPerly said...

I will if I do end up creating one. Still waiting on the bike fit issue. Hopefully I'll find out by end of this week!