Tuesday, January 22, 2008

2008's Gonna Be Great

All righty, I think I've got most of the pieces in place for my 2008 race year. Here are my goals:

1. Get back to running more (30+ MPW).
2. Work on strength, flexibility, speed and the mind-body connection.
3. Run 5 more marathons in my 50-states marathon quest.
4. Shoot for a sub-5:45 1/2 iron tri (maybe a 5:30-something?)

This year, I'll not be able to get away with running only 20-30 MPW, not with 2 marathons scheduled a week apart in the fall (9/28 & 10/5). So goals #1 and #3 will go hand in hand. I'll use Pfitz's 12-week program to rebuild my mileage for my first marathon of the year (3/30) and then just maintain it. I've done this 2-marathons-one-week-apart nonsense 3 times in the past and it works well for me. Namely, I find there's much less time involved training and recovering when running marathons a week apart than when running marathons further apart. So, for me, it'll be more like running 4 marathons rather than 5 this year, which is good because I've got other things I want to do!

Like Goal #2, which is something I've let go by the wayside since getting into tris mainly because I felt like I just had too much on my plate learning how to swim, ride a road bike, figuring out nutrition and transitions, etc. Strength training, flexibility, speed work, plyometrics, balance, breathing, visualization and focus drills were all an integral part of my martial arts training a few years back and what made me feel really strong, inside and outside. I want to incorporate them into my tri training this year and bring back that feeling. I also think they'll be my keys to achieving goal #4.

And if you haven't yet heard about about the cool sponsorship opportunity with Team EVOTRI, go to their website now. ***ANYONE*** is welcome to apply, even if you have never done a triathlon before. The deadline is 2/15/08. I'm thinking about it!

13 comments:

Wendy said...

Great in '08! You go girl!

Brent Buckner said...

That's a great mix!

Susan said...

Looks great, Shirley, as do you!

Waiting, waiting...

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting back to my training roots. The variety should keep me more interested if nothing else.

MarathonChris said...

Sounds like a great plan! Mixing it up should keep it interesting!

Let me know if you want to do any slow runs :-)

akshaye said...

Great goals.. the mix will keep it fun!

BreeWee said...

I like your goals- 5 marathons this year.... simply amazing! Hey, if you do a full Ironman would that marathon count as one of the 50 by 50??

ShirleyPerly said...

It'll count if it's in one of the states I have not yet run a marathon in. After this year, the list includes: WY, NM, ND, OK, MN, WI, IN, WV, DE, CT, RI, VT

Currently I'm planning to do a full iron distance race in 2011 (Redman in NM). That's a long ways off though and I'm tempted to just do one and not tell anyone ;-)

Maddy said...

2008 is going to be a great year for you! Very exciting stuff!

Annette said...

It looks like it is going to be a great year for you Shirley. I look forward to keeping up with your training and Races.

jen said...

Nice plan for 08! Great picture too. :)

Thanks for the tip on Evotri- I'll check it out now.

Petraruns said...

What a year! And what a photo! You look just gorgeous. And you are such an inspiration. Keep it up Shirl - you have no idea what you mean to the rest of us!

PLANET3RRY said...

Thanks for the heads up on EvoTri. I am thinking about it...