Thursday, March 08, 2007

LRM Photos

Below are some photos of me from the Little Rock Marathon last Sunday. The first one was taken somewhere before mile 8, where I fell. I was cruising along at an average 8:47 min/mile pace, which felt very comfortable given the cool, crisp weather conditions. The second photo was taken somewhere around the halfway point where I had slowed to about a 10 min/mile pace, but happy to be able to keep going.



The next two photos were taken as I approached the finish line. By then, I was feeling no pain whatsoever, running hard and overjoyed that I had actually made it. This Arkansas race was my 29th state in my 50 states marathon quest and my 39th marathon overall.



My ankle ballooned in the medical area, making for a very slow 0.7 mile trek back to the hotel. Once in my room, I did my usual ice water bath routine. Now 4 days later, the ankle is only somewhat swollen (usually pretty boney-looking) and I'm no longer limping. The scrape and bruises are healing quick too.



The only thing that looks to have sustained permanent damage is my glove. I'll have to get a new pair before the Olathe Marathon in Kansas end of this month.

8 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

You look terrific!!

TJ said...

wow. sounds like you had a great race...other than the tumble. hope you recovery quickly.
congrats.

Susan said...

You are just amazing! You look sooooo strong in every picture - the perfect champion!

Cliff said...

Battle scars.

ShirleyPerly said...

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Luckily the injuries were not seriuos, but the fall was a wakeup call telling me I need to work on strengthening my ankles!

Kevin said...

Shirley,
Any buddy of Chris' is a friend of mine! You looked great! Huge smiles all the way!

Ellie said...

You look beautiful, but that ankle looks awful!! Can't believe the pain disappeared as you continued to run. Holy smoke. You're an Amazon!

Bigun said...

good job on the race - way to soldier through it! Nice bike too - gosh, it's getting about time for me to make a decision about bike travel! Time flys, and I completely forgot about that issue until I read through your blog.