Thursday, May 13, 2010

An Unpostable Injury

Un-Freaking-Believable.

With a fast recovery following the Cox Providence Marathon and 50-60 degs F forecast on Sunday for the Delaware Marathon, I was thinking a sub-3:50 looked doable. But now all bets are off!

Because the ground jumped up and bit me again, this time at my first spin class in ump-teen years. &$#?$%@!!!

Now some of you may recall that I usually AVOID spin classes like the plague because I hate spin bikes (they never seem to fit right and hurt me more than the workouts) and I am not fond of riding indoors in general. But this one allowed, actually encouraged, us to bring our own bikes & trainers and the instructor is the coach of my tri club. I figured I'd be safe and it'd be more fun to ride indoors with my tri club.

Indeed, it was the best spin class I'd been to but getting off my bike would present a problem. It became very apparent that I'd not ridden on a trainer much. Who knew my bike would be much higher on a trainer than on the road, that I couldn't easily just lean it over to get my leg over it, and the floor would be so slippery when wearing bike shoes?

Man, I might as well have been wearing skates. And the spin room floor, of course, was one of those really hard tiled floors that made asphalt feel spongy.

Luckily, I did not hit my head (no helmet worn indoors) or re-fracture my tailbone (an old childhood injury). I was also able to catch my bike before it hit the floor (it got pulled over when my leg got caught on it). But now I have a most painful bruise on my left butt bone right where the left leg connects to it. Darn tush has lost much of its cush due to years of endurance sports -- WAH! And you'll just have to take my word for it as I'm not posting a photo of this injury.

Good news: It only hurts when I sit or move my left leg.

Bad news: I'll need to do both to get on a plane and run a marathon.

Good news: Ironing doesn't require sitting or much leg movement. (I have a big pile that I've been putting off doing. So much for being an ironwoman - HA!)

Anyways, Dave will have many nice pressed pants & shirts but who knows what'll happen on Sunday. Then again, whoever said running a marathon would be easy?

In the meantime, I'll leave you with some other photos from the past week:

Dave celebrated his 49th birthday down 25# from the beginning of the year, even traveling nearly every week.


His typical lunch lately (fruit salad, frozen mixed veggies, carrots & celery sticks).


Me (front left, red visor) and some folks from my tri club at Lucky's Lake, a local swim spot that has gained cult-like status in free swimming.


With no swim on my training schedule, I was there mainly to support team members who'd never swam in open water before.


But I couldn't resist getting in a quick swim myself. Busted ;-)


First-time lake crossers got to sign Lucky's "Wall of Fame", which has become so full now that folks are signing the ceiling!


Dinner with fellow ironwoman Vickie and her husband who were visiting from Michigan (sorry, terrible photo as my camera was on the wrong setting).


Nearing the finish of the Cox Providence Marathon.

My apologies for being MIA on blogs. I hope to catch up next week when I get back from Delaware and am able to sit for much longer than I can now (even with a doughnut it's far from comfortable). Good luck to everyone else racing this weekend!

Update 5/14: Able to walk pain-free today! Fingers crossed for running on Sunday.

22 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Get well soon!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

OUCH!!!! Hope it feels better for the marathon, and sitting! :( So it might be a while again before you did the indoor spinning, huh? Have a great race!! Oh, and congrats to Dave, he looks great!!

KodaFit said...

I suspect you'll do just fine in Delaware, even with the injury!
And props to Dave on the weighloss.

Regina said...

Talk about a pain in the ass! Not you of course, but your injury ;)

Sorry this happened and I hope you heal up soon. I remember the 'donut' after I gave birth. ha!

Dave looks great!!! I think Sherry (Woman in Motion) is going to Lucky's Lake on Saturday.

Get well soon.

Caratunk Girl said...

OW. That sucks. I bet you will be OK for the marathon though. Congrats to Dave on the big weight loss, that is awesome. Hard work pays off, he has obviously been working hard! Love the swim photos!

lindsay said...

LOL. at least i didn't know quite what that donut was for until i read? :)

you seem to be having some funky injuries lately. pregnant ankle, donut butt... might need to get you a padded bubble pronto!

Molly said...

Ouch!!! Feel better soon!

Karen said...

Oh no a busted booty! Ouch! At least you will get all the ironing done for the year :)

Sherry said...

Oh my gosh, Shirley! So very sorry. As if getting over that gnarly ankle of yours wasn't enough, right? Goodness! Well, I'm glad you didn't break anything and hopefully your bruise will quiet itself enough to allow you to fly and run somewhat 'happily'.

I LOVED the Lucky's Lake pictures! I'm swimming there for the first time ever this Saturday (my warm-up day before FL70.3). I'm really, really looking forward to it. Maybe even more than the race the next day! I hope that I can catch up with YOU sometime at Lucky's! I'll be back up in O-Town for a good week in October... maybe then!?! :o)

Take good care of yourself!

And... Happy Birthday, Dave! Way to go!!!!

DaveP said...

The nice thing about this is have been superseded as her biggest pain.

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

When i think of the quote about fall 8 times, get up 9, i think of you! Such a warrior! I hope you heal quickly and can get another marathon in the bag. We need to have a florida bloggers get together at LuckyS lake. This makes about 4 blogs i've read today that mentioned this swim venue. I wanna go too!!

Midwestern Dot said...

Wow, that sucks!! I LOVE the first picture!!
Congrats to Dave on his weight loss!

Runner Leana said...

Oh no! Ouch!!

Meg said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that accident!! I hope you heal up quickly, heal up quickly for your race!! Nice donut, love the color!

X-Country2 said...

Ouch! Take care of yourself and get well soon.

Susan said...

Oh Shirley -- OUCH! I am glad you are always able to find the humor in situations. That is a wonderful quality to posess!

Congrats to Dave!

Irish Blue said...

Doh!! Hope you recover quickly. Good luck with the marathon!

Petraruns said...

Oh good luck girl! I am so sorry to hear about your injury - won't pry any further but your cushion says it all. No cush on your tush? Wish that were my problem...

Good luck in the race sweetie - revover soon!

Oh and Dave! Amazing!

Black Knight said...

Get well soon. I like all the pictures but expecially the last one near the arrival, you look fast and strong and with both the feet off the ground!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I was interested to see the picture of what your husband ate for lunch. I am trying to each more fruit, nuts, tomatoes, etc. My life is quite stressful now and I haven't time to train much if at all. I've lost weight (not a good thing) and triathlons are just a fading memory of the past. Hope you have a good race and you don't feel uncomfortable.

Rainmaker said...

All I can think about is Home Simpson and his doughnut jokes...

Wendy said...

Lucky's Lake is on my Bucket List!