Monday, October 05, 2009

Active Rest & Recovery

This is a term I used to hear and say a lot when taking/teaching fitness classes a while back. Between intervals of high intensity stuff, we'd do intervals of low intensity stuff, such as jogging or jump rope. We never got to completely rest until we were done and one of the things that I remember thinking when I was first exposed to this type of training was that the instructor must be smoking crack. How on earth could jogging or jump roping be considered rest?

But after several weeks, it did get easier and I became a lot stronger both physically and mentally. And so it seems with my iron training. While it used to be that a half iron would pretty much wipe me out, now it's just a step-back or rest week for me. Coach gave me my usual one day off (Monday) after the FL Challenge and I was right back into training -- I mean, recovering -- so that it was business as usual by the weekend:

Fri - 15 mi run @ 8:51 pace, AHR 159, 83-86 deg HI. Last bit of the cold front!

Sat - 2x2000m open water swim, 1:35 w/ my wetsuit. It still feels like it's choking me but it doesn't bother me much after a while. I pray that GF will be wetsuit legal!!

Sun - 74 mi bike on the GF course minus flatter parts, 15.5 mph, AHR 141, 77-88 degs HI.
         7 mi brick run @ 9:41 pace, AHR 158, 87-90 deg HI. Back to hot :-(

But no doubt the hardest thing about last weekend was seeing Dave suffer during the ride yesterday. Although he's not training for an ironman and has done very few rides over 50 miles in the heat, he wanted to go the whole way with me and I could not talk him out of it. He did fine until mile 60, but after that, the sun poured out through the clouds and we'd just begun the hilliest part of the course where there was virtually no shade. His HR skyrocketed and he had to dismount his bike and walk up one of the steepest hills. After making it to the top, he then had to go sit under a tree for a while to cool off. Not a good idea in FL!

Yep, a bunch of fire ants found him but he was too exhausted to move. Finally, he got up and we brushed off as many as we could from his shorts. He decided to take a different, flatter route back to the car but insisted that I go the original route to hit all the hills late in the GF course. I worried about him the whole way but found him back at the car waiting for me. Poor guy had gotten chills, probably from heat exhaustion, and also a severe rash from all the fire ant bites on his butt (he's somewhat allergic to them -- not a pretty sight). Even after my 7-mile run, he was still out of it so I drove us home. And wouldn't you know it, he has an appointment with a colonscopy doc today ...

Anyway, this coming weekend will be my biggest to date in terms of volume. Hopefully Dave will know his limits better (you try telling a former Marine that ;-). After that, I've got a 2 week taper going into GF and then 2 weeks to recover for B2B. Yikes, it's getting close!

22 comments:

DaveP said...

I do know my limits. I didn't expect it to get that hot.

But let's face it, we both are kinda stubborn about these things. ;-)

Molly said...

Ouch!!! Poor Dave!

Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

I admire Dave's drive. Now that I know he was a former Marine it is clear why he was so driven. Hope his butt and his body is better today :)

Seems like the closer you get to race day the faster time speeds up. I hate I am not going to be doing B2B but I will be cheering you on from SC for sure!

Marlene said...

It definitely took me some time to think of any form of exercise in terms of rest/recovery. Old couch potato habits die hard. ;)

I hope Dave is feeling better. Poor guy!

Wendy said...

Oh dear! Poor Dave!

Regina said...

Poor Dave! I hope he is feeling better. However the Marine thing explains it all!

You, on the other hand are a machine. You must be excited, I know I am (for you). Happy active rest & recovery.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

fire ants? ick!!

And your next race is getting close. WoooHooo

Lily on the Road said...

Dave xoxoxo, for trying to ride with an Iron, I tried that in March with a friend of mine who was training for Iron and I am still recovering LOL...

Good luck with the rest of your B2B training, not too much longer now!

Meg Runs said...

Rest is so hard for us anyway...do you ever take compete chunks of rest time after big races or events?

Hope Dave isn't traumatized by his ant fiasaco, poor guy!

Maria said...

talk about a dedicated SO...maybe next year i'll be reading about the adventures of an ironcouple?! seems like he's already half there!

Cliff said...

Chills is no good. As long as everyone go back home ok ;0), all is good. Fire ants are nasty little critters. I have one bite from them in Australia. It just stinging and stinging.

1:35...is this hr and min? or 1:35 min/100 m :D?

lizzie lee said...

I am so sorry for Dave... What a bad day!!! with a worse follow up: a colonoscopy!!!

X-Country2 said...

I've found that running at least a little on my "off day" helps a ton in recovery. Crazy how that works.

Petraruns said...

Poor Dave - at least you spared him the indignity of a photo of the fire ant damage..

Sounds like you're both pretty tough nuts - which is good to know going into two IMs...

lindsay said...

wow. i think i would've had enough energy to run far from the ant hill! poor, poor dave. hope he's doing better!

Smithposts said...

Good day for you, congrats! Dave has a lot of heart hanging with his sweetie for as long as possible! Not sure what is worse, the GI prep or the fire ants!

Brent Buckner said...

Not Dave's day!

Sunshine said...

So dear of Dave to try to ride with you. So sorry about his tough day.

Rainmaker said...

Good luck with the big set this weekend!

Marci said...

Poor Dave, wow that sounds just awful!! I have found that when I crash on the bike its just like that... no warning. Hope you have a good weekend. I totally wish I could come cheer you on for one of your races! Tris are over here in Ontario!

Missy said...

Get him to a doc if those bites get infected - my hubs damn gear grew a 6th toe when he was bitten. Bad news...so check his bunz;)

Spokane Al said...

I like Dave's short retort - although the fire ant episode kind of weakens his argument just a tad.