Sunday, August 12, 2007

TGIB - Thank God I'm Back


Who'd have thought that playing tourist in Hawaii could be more exhausting than training for marathons and triathlons? At least my workouts are usually no longer than 2-3 hours and there are planned recovery days.

Not so in Hawaii the past couple weeks.

My mom and I did a 12-hour around-the-island bus tour, attended a 3 hour all-you-can-eat luau, spent a day walking around the Hilton Waikoloa Resort, visited numerous museums, scenic sites, and other cultural centers, ate at various restaurants, and we shopped until I nearly dropped. "This is probably the only time she'll ever visit Hawaii," my sister told me. "I can do whatever my 70-year-old mother can do," I kept telling myself.


In between, I did manage to escape for a few swim-bike-run workouts but I always seemed to feel tired. I wasn't sleeping well with the condo temperature hovering around 85 most of the time (my mom got cold easily so no AC and no wide open windows, which I like). And she always seemed to be complaining about something ...


I did, however, have a couple of notable training experiences: 1) I fixed my first flat all by myself out on the highway and 2) I swam in Kailua Bay solo (wore fins since there are no lifeguards). These are things I've done in the past with Dave by my side guiding me and keeping me calm. This time I was by my lonesome and I conquered some fears I had about whether I could do them on my own -- woohoo!

The day after I got back I slept for nearly 12-hours straight. And I've had to take 2-3 hour long naps nearly every day, still. Guess I'm recovering. Meanwhile, here's a few photos from the around-the-island bus tour. Enjoy!

Orchid nursery

Rainbow Falls

Thurston Lava Tube

Tikis at Place of Refuge

Turtles at Black Sand Beach

10 comments:

Petraruns said...

Shirley! you've done great and we're thrilled to have you back with us in the land of the bloggers. It sounds like you did more than your daughterly duty so pat yourself on the back - you've handled it all pretty well. And on top of that conquering some personal fears - you really have made the best of it. Can't wait to hear how you get on with your training now. What's next?

Wendy said...

Welcome back Shirley! The pictures are great -- thanks for posting them.

Susan said...

Beautiful scenery! Pretty mama, pretty daughter -- go figure!

Brent Buckner said...

Glad you pulled through!

I moved my a/c to 80F for sleeping, and found it to be money well spent.

Iron Eric said...

Welcome back home!! Its so great to have you back. The pictures are wonderful. Will you take me to Hawaii next time you go? Thanks.

MarathonChris said...

Welcome back! Was great to see you and Dave out biking on Sat and Sun. Sat I was in my car on the way to Disney - and Sunday you saw me in the midst of my 10 miler!!!

You survived! Next up, Texas!

Duane said...

Wow! What a great trip! Good job on fixing your first flat!

Anonymous said...

No one is happier to have her home than I am.
Dave

ShirleyPerly said...

Whew! Looks like Hurricane Flossie went a bit further south of the Big Island than expected and did not affect the Kona area much at all. My mom is still there on her own but leaving today. She definitely got a little more excitement the past couple days than I think she wanted.

Rural Girl said...

Glad to see you're back. I'm with Iron Eric, I want to go to Hawaii!
Kudos on changing the flat. Welcome home.