Monday, July 26, 2010

Kona, Blackberry & Blogging

Is it possible NOT to have fun in Kona?

I don't think so, even if I crash on my bike which I did (no worries, it was not really serious). In fact, with every visit, it just feels like I'm back home. Here are a few pics from this trip:


I ran two small 10K races while there. Both courses were a bit long and pretty tough but I got in some good speed work and ended up with two first place F40-49 finishes which was nice. I'd hoped to also do two open water swim events (a one mile and a 1.2 mile) but, unfortunately, both were too soon after the crash and my shoulder and ribs were not up to swimming long so I did my own shorter ocean swims. Next year for sure!

Oh, as for the broken Blackberry in my last post, no, it wasn't me who hit it with a hammer. Dave did it, but only because he already had a new one with him and just wanted to see what my reaction would be. What a dirty trick!!

But high speed internet service was fairly unreliable on our trip so the last couple weeks I've been dabbling with Facebook. Can you believe it? Me, one of the last hold-outs. But now I see how much easier it is to stay connected with friends via Facebook vice Blogger, especially when connectivity may be limited and every click that results in a new page being loaded can be painful. So like many of you already have, I am switching to using Facebook for most of my postings. This blog will serve mainly as a place to house race reports and longer thought pieces as well as my race schedule and 50 states progress. If you're on FB, you can find me here. Look forward to connecting with many of you there!

20 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Sounds as though you are still upbeat and doing it!!! I love and miss Hawaii, I can hardly wait to get back and enjoy it to the fullest.

I've sent my FB friends request! See you there!

Lisa said...

great photos from your trip!

glad you found me on FB. it really does make it easy to stay connected

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

Those pictures are fabulous Shirley! I'm slightly jealous of the beauty there, sigh! Congrats on the strong runs and love that medal with the foot/wing...one of my favorite running symbols. I hit you up on Facebook; glad you caved in to the facebook pressure.

DaveP said...

Like I said, It's always a 50/50 shot as weather you will get on the plane back to Florida.

The Alien said...

Really nice pics!! and good to have you back in blogland. Congratulations on 2 first places, that's awesome!!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I refuse to add one more mass media thing to keep up with (FB).
Sounds like you are still kicking arse and not taking prisoners. Way to go.

Regina said...

You tracked me down on FB, and I'm glad you did!

Congrats on winning your AG twice?!!!

I love a man with a good sense of humor...and a woman who can take it. ha! Have fun!

Formulaic said...

NO!! Not another FB groupie!

The land of blog is becoming a graveyard. I might have to go to FB just to see my peeps anymore.

OH THE HUMANITY!

BTW: NICE job on the 1st places

X-Country2 said...

awesome pics!

Stef said...

Sooooo glad you are on FB now! LOVE the Kona pics!!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, come on over to the dark side, Form! Nearly everyone is there but you and IronBob.

Caratunk Girl said...

Awesome photos! I am jealous because I want to go! That foot wing medal is awesome. Keep up the strong runs!

Black Knight said...

Welcome back and thanks for the pictures. I would like to visit those paradises but my wife is scared of flying. Congrats on your 1st places, you are a champ. The story of the BlackBerry made me laugh, too funny.

Meg said...

Your trip looked like so much fun and I enjoyed the Blackberry trick, husbands!
Great job on your first place finishes, training must be going well!

Bootchez said...

Is that where everyone went, flipping FACEBOOK???? No way, uh uh, oh hell I never spend much time on the damn thing. Like Formulaic, I refuse. Fine. I'll follow the link when I'm on a real computer and find you there. I'll read you, but I'll be a holdout on the blogging thing. FB makes me crazy with all the inane details of what she just had for dinner and how wonderful life is and all the fun activities .... Oh. Shit.

lindsay said...

what the heck? blogs are for updates so we can see pics and read about delicious details! :) where do you even 'blog' on facebook? i've been on it "for years" but i use it less than i used to now. guess i'll have to find you on there - one day i will come visit in HI! :)

lizzie lee said...

Congrats for your 10Ks. I can't say the same for my last one....Had a different purpose as you may know.... Take an injury monkey off my shoulders.... I'd love to run in Kona.... One day... promised!!!

Runner Leana said...

Great to see you on FB Shirley! Hope you are healing up okay after your crash. Two first places in your AG? Nicely done!

Petraruns said...

LOVE having you on FB Shirley - it's great to see your updates.

zbsports said...

I love your blog and I like the picture slide. Definitely great run there.